Top 5 Prevalent Diseases and Conditions That Affect the Elderly Q&A
Read on to find about top 5 prevalent diseases and conditions that affect the elderly. Dr. Mohamed Nassar M.D. is experienced geriatric doctor, he can help you prevent and manage chronic conditions. For more information, contact us or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 255 Terracina Blvd, Suite 105 Redlands, CA 92373.
Table of Contents:
Older adults are at increased risk of experiencing various conditions and diseases with more significant symptoms than younger adults. As such, geriatric care can often provide the most effective medical attention and treatment for such individuals by focusing on improving their quality of life and setting and achieving their treatment goals. At the clinic of Mohammed Nassar, MD, we would be pleased to provide high-quality geriatric care to you if you are an older adult dealing with a chronic disease or condition.
Five of the most prevalent chronic diseases affecting the elderly, along with relevant statistics from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), are as follows:
– Heart disease: an estimated 17 percent of adults aged 65 and older in the United States experience coronary heart disease.
– Diabetes: an estimated 27 percent of adults aged 65 or older in the United States experience diabetes, and an estimated 24 million older adults have prediabetes.
– COPD: an estimated 14 percent of adults aged 65 or older in the United States experience chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), which is a respiratory disease involving both emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
– Arthritis: an estimated 50 percent of adults aged 65 or older in the United States experience arthritis.
– Pneumonia: approximately one million adults aged 65 or older in the United States are hospitalized with pneumonia each year.
There are several reasons why older adults experience illnesses with more frequency than younger adults, including increased frailty, weakened immune systems, and an increased likelihood of having one or more medical conditions.
Over time, our bodies lose strength and vitality from general wear and tear, injuries, and the natural degeneration of our tissues. As such, we become more vulnerable to illness and infection as we age. Moreover, our bodies also experience immunosenescence, which is a natural part of aging where our immune systems gradually become weaker, further hampering our ability to fight off illnesses and infections.
As a geriatric medicine doctor, Dr. Nassar specializes in diagnosing, treating, and managing chronic illnesses that affect older adults. As such, he is expertly trained to understand such issues with increased consideration of your treatment goals and quality of life while spending more time with you at each appointment to help you thrive as much as possible. As such, some of the specific ways that Dr. Nassar can help an older adult with a chronic disease are as follows:
– Coordinate medical care and treatment with the patient’s other medical or healthcare providers
– Develop, establish, and manage the patient’s care and treatment plans
– Help the patient determine their healthcare priorities and medical goals
– Manage and review each medication the patient is taking
– Provide palliative and end-of-life care
Dr. Nassar can also provide geriatric assessments if you are unsure if you could benefit from geriatric care. A geriatric assessment is a thorough evaluation of your emotional, mental, physical, and psychological health and can assess such things as your living conditions, family involvement, financial situation, and social life. The primary aim of a geriatric assessment is to find ways to improve an older adult’s quality of life.
For more information about the prevalent diseases that affect older adults or an appointment with us at the clinic of Dr. Mohammed Nassar, MD, please give us a call or schedule an appointment with us right here on our website! You can find us at 255 Terracina Blvd, Suite 105, in Redlands, California. We serve patients from Redlands CA, Loma Linda CA, Highland CA, San Bernardino CA, and Grand Terrace CA.