Benefits of Seeing a Geriatrician
Read on to find the top benefits of visiting a geriatrician. Dr. Nassar MD and his team of experienced geriatric doctors specialize in the healthcare of the elderly. For more information, contact us or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 255 Terracina Blvd, Suite 105 Redlands, CA 92373.
Table of Contents:
When should you start seeing a geriatric doctor?
Why is the geriatrician important?
What does a geriatric doctor treat?
What are the benefits of seeing a geriatric doctor?
A geriatrician is a physician who specializes in the care of patients of advanced age as well as the diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and management of illnesses, injuries, and conditions that commonly affect the older population. Geriatricians are often considered primary care providers for older adults, and they often serve as the first point of contact for any health concerns related to aging. As such, they work closely with other specialists, such as geriatric psychiatrists, to make sure their patients are getting the best care possible. They also provide a wide variety of services, such as preventive care, medication management, and counseling.
While there is no set age requirement for a patient to start seeing a geriatric doctor, geriatricians often treat patients who are 65 years and older. Rather than focusing on reaching a specific age, patients should see a geriatrician when they:
– Become frail or impaired
– Have multiple conditions that require complex care
– Are taking multiple medications
– Can no longer get support from caregivers
The geriatric care provided by geriatricians, doctors who specialize in caring for older patients, is important for many reasons. For one, geriatricians can help their patients manage the many age-related health issues and problems that can arise with aging, such as heart disease, arthritis, and Alzheimer’s disease. Secondly, these medical professionals are also trained to recognize and manage the unique health care needs of older adults, such as the need for additional preventive care, the use of alternative medicine, and the unique psychosocial issues that come with aging. Furthermore, a geriatrician is, in many cases, the patient’s primary doctor, and is therefore in a unique position to provide high-quality, long-term care. With age, the body goes through many changes; physical and physiological functions begin to slow down, which can result in the development of age-related diseases. Therefore, as we age, our medical needs change; geriatricians are familiar with these changes and how to meet these different needs.
Geriatricians diagnose and treat a wide range of injuries, diseases, and conditions that commonly affect the older population, such as:
– hearing and vision loss
– heart failure
– balance issues
Geriatric doctors provide many benefits, including:
– Help Manage Chronic Conditions — Chronic conditions, such as arthritis, high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol, are much more common in the older population; an estimated 78% of adults over the age of 55 have at least one chronic condition, and nearly half (47%) have more than one.
– Medication Management — Because seniors are more likely to experience health problems, in many cases, they are prescribed multiple medications, which is known as polypharmacy. Knowing when to take these medicines, how often to take them, and their potential side effects can be difficult to remember; geriatricians are experienced in helping patients manage multiple medications and can educate them on their potential side effects and contraindications.
– Coordinate Care with Family and Caregivers — In some cases, seniors may lose the ability to function independently, requiring support and supervision from family or other caregivers. In these situations, geriatricians can help streamline this process and coordinate care between the family and other medical providers.
– Improve Quality of Life — By receiving the care they need, seniors can live a better quality of life, have a longer life expectancy, and can function more independently.
If you are looking for a qualified and trusted geriatrician, come to Mohamed Nassar, MD. Call Now or Schedule an Appointment Online. We are conveniently located at 255 Terracina Blvd, Suite 105 Redlands, CA 92373. We serve patients from Redlands CA, Loma Linda CA, Highland CA, San Bernardino CA, and Grand Terrace CA.
Additional Services You May Need
▸ Geriatric Medicine Doctors
▸ Diabetes Care
▸ Joint Injections For Arthritis Care
▸ Heart Disease
▸ Primary Care Physician
▸ Primary Care Doctor
▸ Internal Medicine Doctor